National Welsh Rabbit Day
Facts on Welsh Rabbit
- A dish made with a savory sauce of melted cheese and various other ingredients and served hot, after being poured over slices (or other pieces) of toast bread, or the hot cheese sauce may be served in a chafing dish like a fondue, accompanied by sliced, toasted bread.
- The names of the dish originate from 18th-century Great Britain.
- Welsh rarebit is typically made with Cheddar Cheese.
- In the United States, a frozen prepared saucesold under the Stouffer’s brand name can be found in supermarkets.
- Acknowledging that there is more than one way to make a rarebit, some cookbooks have included two recipes.