National Garlic Day
Facts on Garlic
- Garlic is one of the oldest cultivated crops. It was fed to the builders of the Great Pyramid in Egypt in the belief that it gave them strength.
- The city of Chicago is named after garlic. ‘Chicagaoua’ was the Indian word for wild garlic.
- Garlic attracts leeches. They take 14.9 seconds to attach to a hand covered with garlic but 44.9 seconds to suck blood from a clean one.
- Garlic was used as an antiseptic against gangrene in the First World War.
- Raw, freshly minced garlic has the most health benefits.