National Waffle Day
Facts on Waffles
- Waffle batter typically a combination of eggs, flour, baking powder, sugar, milk and vanilla lends itself well to different ingredients, and can be either sweet or savory.
- There are different types of waffles, thick and crisp Belgian, the denser and chewier Liège, the syrup-filled stroopwaffles, or the frozen ones from a box.
- Waffles are typically eaten for breakfast and can be paired with almost any topping.
- In the South, waffles are served with fried chicken and drizzled with honey.
- The first U.S. patent for a waffle iron was in 1869 by Cornelius Swarthout.