National Taffy Day
Food Facts on Taffy
- Salt water taffy originated in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- A young candy merchant; named Mr Bradley had a stand on the Boardwalk and discovered salt-water taffy in 1880.
- Contrary to popular belief, saltwater taffy, isn’t made with saltwater. Its ingredients, however, do include salt and water.
- The candy is made my melting sugar, water, butter and cornstarch and then pulling the into long strands.
- Pulling the taffy aerates it, which gives the sticky treat its chewiness and a lustrous shine.