National Spinach Day
Facts on Spinach
- Spinach is a cool season crop and belongs to the goosefoot family along with Swiss chard and beets.
- Spinach is low in calories, and is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and minerals, especially iron.
- Spinach is a native plant of Persia (modern day Iran). It was introduced to the US in 1806.
- Half of the major nutrients are lost by the eighth day after harvest.
- In the 1930′s U.S. spinach, growers credited Popeye with a 33% increase in domestic spinach consumption.