National Popcorn Day
Facts on Popcorn
- Popcorn, also known as popping corn, is a type of corn that expands and puffs when heated.
- Americans consume 16 billion quarts of popped popcorn annually or 51 quarts per person. It is also, one of the most economical and wholesome foods available.
- Good popcorn should provide at least 98 percent popped kernels or fewer than two percent unpopped kernels.
- Popcorn really became popular during the Great Depression, where is sold for 5-10 cents per bag.
- Charles Cretors invented the first commercial popcorn machine in the late 19th century.