National Peach Melba Day
Facts on Peach Melba
- Peach Melba is a dessert consisting of vanilla ice cream, peaches poached in vanilla flavored syrup, and a topping of raspberry sauce.
- The dish dates back to 1892 in France, by the French chef Auguste Escoffier at the Savoy Hotel.
- The rumor is the chef created the dish to honor the Austrian soprano Nelle Melba.
- Other versions of this dessert use pears, apricots, or strawberries instead of peaches and/or use raspberry sauce or melted red currant jelly instead of raspberry purée.
- Man has consumed peaches, native to China, for at least 4,000 years.