National Licorice Day
Facts on Licorice
- Most people likely think of licorice as a sweet, chewy treat that is black or red. The licorice flavoring that comes from the sweet root of the licorice plant, is only used in black licorice.
- Many candies are named licorice only because of the gummy texture and shapes they share with black licorice, and contain no actual licorice.
- The licorice plant, a shrub, is officially a weed. It is about four feet tall with purplish flowers and grows in hot, dry places.
- Licorice root is one of the most popular herbs in the world. Its botanical name comes from the Greek words meaning “sweet root.”
- Licorice helps relieve the pains that accompany certain types of ulcers, and soars throats and upper respiratory conditions.