National Chewing Gum Day
Facts on Chewing Gum
- The world’s oldest piece of chewing gum is 9000 years old!
- The average person chews over 300 sticks of gum each year. Spearmint, peppermint, and cinnamon are among the most popular flavors of chewing gum today.
- There are more than 1,000 varieties of gum manufactured and sold in the United States and even more in the rest of the world.
- The longest gum wrapper chain on record was 7,400 feet in length (nearly one and a half miles) and was made by Cathy Ushler of Redmond, Washington between 1969 and 1992.
- The largest bubble ever blown was 23 inches in diameter. The record was set July 19, 1994 by Susan Montgomery Williams of Fresno, California. (Guinness Book of World Records 1998).