National Have a Bagel Day
Facts on Bagels
- Bagels are the only bread that are boiled before baked.
- Bagels come in many varieties from blueberry to the “everything” bagel, however, the most popular choice is plain, followed closely by sesame.
- Bagels have been used to symbolize the continuous cycle of life—without beginning and without end.
- That little hole in the center isn’t just for looks, it came in handy for early peddles and street vendors to thread multiple bagels onto a dowel, making transport.
- The first bagel bakeries were founded in New York City in the 1920s.