National Escargot Day
Food Facts on Escargot
- Escargot is a dish of cooked edible snails, usually served as an appetizer in French restaurants.
- An Escargot plate has indentations (usually 6) to hold the snail shells for baking and for serving.
- Special EscRGOT or snail tongs are used to hold the snail shells while using a small two tined Escargot fork to extract the snail from the shell.
- Restaurants serve about 1 billion snails annually.
- Escargot are high in protein and low in fat and high in essential fatty acids.