National Doughnut Day
Facts on Donuts
- The two most common types are the ring doughnut and the filled doughnut—which is injected with fruit preserves, cream, custard, or other sweet fillings.
- The first cookbook mentioning doughnuts was an 1803.
- By the mid-19th century, the doughnut looked and tasted like today’s doughnut, and was viewed as a thoroughly American food.
- in 1920, Russian born immigrant Adolph Levitt created the first automated doughnut machine.
- The average American eats 63 dozen donuts a year.