National Cordon Bleu Day
Facts on Cordon Bleu
- A Cordon bleu is meat wrapped around cheese (or with cheese filling), then breaded and pan fried or deep-fried.
- A Chicken or Veal Cordon bleu is a dish of breaded veal pounded thin and wrapped around a slice of ham or prosciutto and a slice of cheese, breaded, and then pan fried or baked.
- A Schnitzel Cordon Bleu may be made of Ham or Veal and is stuffed with mushrooms and cheese.
- The French term Cordon Bleu is translated as Blue Ribbon.
- The earliest reference to Chicken Cordon Bleu is in The New York Times in 1967.