National Bittersweet Chocolate Day
Facts on Bittersweet Chocolate
- Bittersweet chocolate is a sweetened form of dark chocolate made with cocoa liquor, sugar, cocoa butter, and vanilla
- Bittersweet unlike milk chocolate or white chocolate does not contain any milk solids.
- Bittersweet chocolate must contain at least 35% chocolate liquor (a non-alcoholic liquid produced from cocoa beans) according to the FDA.
- Consuming bittersweet chocolate on a daily basis is actually quite good for you. All variations of dark chocolate contain antioxidants that lower blood pressure and help protect your heart.
- Bittersweet chocolate has less sugar and more liquor than semisweet chocolate however; the two of them may be interchangeable when baking.