National Apple Betty Day
Food Facts on Apple Betty
- A traditional American dessert made from fruit (usually apple, but also berries or pears) and sweetened crumbs.
- Similar to a Cobbler or Apple Crisp, the fruit is baked and in this case, the sweetened crumbs are in layers between the fruit.
- It is usually served with lemon sauce or whipped cream.
- The dish was first mentioned in print in 1864. A recipe from 1877 use applesauce and cracker crumbs
- Apple Brown Betty was one of the favorite desserts of Ronald and Nancy Reagan in the White House.