National Crepe Suzette Day
Food Facts on Crepe Suzettes
- Crepe is the French word for pancake.
- Crepe Suzette is a French dessert with guerre a sauce of caramelized sugar, butter, and orange zest, Grand Mariner and served flambé.
- It is told that the dish originated in Cafe de Paris in Monte Carlo in 1895.
- In 1896, it was published in a cookbook recipe as “Pancakes, Casino Style” with everything in place except the final flambé.
- There are many different stories on how this dish originated. The most common is the dish was created out of a mistake made by a fourteen year-old assistant waiter Henri Carpentier in 1895.