National Herb Day
Food Facts on Herbs
- Herb gardens were almost an essential feature of pioneer homes. They were placed in sunny corners near the house to be readily available to the busy homemaker.
- An herb is a seed plant that does not produce a woody stem like a tree. An herb will live long enough to develop flowers and seeds.
- Herbs are any plants used for flavoring, food, medicine, or perfume.
- Culinary use typically distinguishes herbs as referring to the leafy green parts of a plant.
- The Brooklyn Botanic Garden Handbook on Herbs lists 73 different types of herbs.