Food Reference Source
National Truffles Day
Facts on Truffles
- Truffles are a delectable type of dessert!
- Truffles are a chocolate named after a fungus.
- Truffles are made with a chocolate ganache center that is then coated in chocolate powder.
- According to legend, the chocolate truffle was created in the kitchen of French culinary giant Auguste Escoffier during the 1920s.
- Modern truffles can be round or square, enrobed in chocolate and topped with exotic flavor but the must have the ganache center to be called a truffle.
National Dining Car Day
Facts on Dining Cars
- A dining car is also known as a restaurant carriage, also diner is a railroad passenger car that serves food.
- A Dining car serves meals in the manner of a full-service, sit-down restaurant.
- By the mid-1880s, dedicated dining cars were a normal part of long-distance trains.
- The common dining car has a gallery and on the opposite end tables or booth seating on either side of a center aisle.
- Dining cars are less common today but still play a role in passenger railroading, on long-distance trains.
National Chocolate Day