National Sandwich Day
Facts on Sandwiches
- The most popular sandwich is the plain, ordinary ham sandwich
- The first recorded use of the word ‘Sandwich’ (with a capital S), was in 1762 by Edward Gibbon writing of the Beef Steak Club in London.
- The sandwich is named after John Montagu (1718-92), the 4th Earl of Sandwich, who started a craze for eating beef between two slices of toast.
- The Sandwich Islands (now Hawaii) were also named after the 4th Earl of Sandwich in 1778.
- Americans eat more than 300 million sandwiches every day