National Sausage Pizza Day
Food History of Jelly Beans
- The first advertisement for jelly beans was published in the Chicago Daily News on July 5, 1905.
- Jelly beans are associated with Easter because of their egg shape.
- Approximately 16 billion jelly beans are sold during the Easter season.
- The jelly bean earned fame as President Reagan’s favorite candy and he used them to help him quit smoking when he was governor of California.
- There are over 50 different flavor jelly beans produced each year.
National Garlic Day
Facts on Garlic
- Garlic is one of the oldest cultivated crops. It was fed to the builders of the Great Pyramid in Egypt in the belief that it gave them strength.
- The city of Chicago is named after garlic. ‘Chicagaoua’ was the Indian word for wild garlic.
- Garlic attracts leeches. They take 14.9 seconds to attach to a hand covered with garlic but 44.9 seconds to suck blood from a clean one.
- Garlic was used as an antiseptic against gangrene in the First World War.
- Raw, freshly minced garlic has the most health benefits.