National Clam on the Half Shell Day
Facts on Clams
- Clams begin as a shellfish the size of a grain of sand when born.
- There are over 150 different edible species of clams in the world.
- Clams are a low fat, high protein seafood choice with an above average amount of healthful minerals such as selenium, zinc, iron and magnesium and B vitamins like niacin.
- Clams can be eaten raw, steamed, boiled, baked or fried; the method of preparation depends partly on the size and species of the clam.
- The clam has no head, no biting mouthparts and no arms or legs.