National Boston cream Pie Day
Food Facts on Boston Cream Pie
A Boston cream pie is actually a cake, not a pie, made from white sponge or butter cake
Boston cream pie has a custard or cream filling and frosted with chocolate.
Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian at Boston’s Parker House Hotel created the Boston cream pie in 1856.
The Boston cream pie was declared the official dessert of Massachusetts, in 1996.
Boston cream pie is now also a popular doughnut, coffee, and ice cream flavor.
National Apple Betty Day
Food Facts on Apple Betty
- A traditional American dessert made from fruit (usually apple, but also berries or pears) and sweetened crumbs.
- Similar to a Cobbler or Apple Crisp, the fruit is baked and in this case, the sweetened crumbs are in layers between the fruit.
- It is usually served with lemon sauce or whipped cream.
- The dish was first mentioned in print in 1864. A recipe from 1877 use applesauce and cracker crumbs
- Apple Brown Betty was one of the favorite desserts of Ronald and Nancy Reagan in the White House.