Food Facts of Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Bread is a type of bread that is made with cooked zucchini.
- Zucchini Bread is not listed in the American Cookery (1796 the first American cookbook) even though it dates back to the 18th Century.
- Zucchini Bread is also a quick bread (chemically leavened).
- Zucchini has more potassium than a banana.
- Zucchini is a fruit but is treated as a vegetable.
National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day
Facts on Pigs-in-a-Blanket
- In the United States Pigs-in-a-blanket refers to hotdogs wrapped in dough or croissant, and baked.
- Pigs-in-a-Blanket are typically cut small and can be eaten in one or two bites.
- Pigs-in-a-Blanket are usually served as an appetizer or hors d’oeuvre.
- The first written record of pigs in a blanket occurs in Betty Crocker’s Cooking for Kids in 1957.
- Pigs-in-a-Blanket are usually dipped in mustard sauce.
National Cherry Cheesecake Day
Food History of Cherry Cheese Cake
- Many assume that Cheesecake has its origins in New York, but it actually dates back over 4,000 years to ancient Greece.
- Cheesecake is a dessert similar to cake but make with cheese and typically has a topping.
- In 1870 cream cheese was an American addition to the cake and since has become a staple ingredient.
- By the 1900’s New Yorkers fell in love with the dessert and virtually every restaurant had its own version.
- New Yorkers have vied and continue to claim bragging rights for the original recipe of cheesecake.