National Molasses Bar Day
Facts on Molasses
- Molasses is a thick, sticky syrup made from sugarcane.
- Molasses quality depends on the age of the sugarcane, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction.
- Molasses has been used to sweeten food since the 1500’s.
- Molasses is still used in many recipes like gingerbread, sauces, cookies, toffee, baked beans, fruitcake, and molasses bars.
- The Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, when a large molasses storage tank burst, and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150.